Thursday 24 July 2008

2 weeks on: a few reflections

It is 2 weeks since I posted the last blog, and in that time everyone has arrived home safely on the flights listed in itineraries, all bags have arrived on the same flights as the travellers, all the washing done, and for many the routines of work and family life have been resumed.
I can't speak for everyone, but for me the last 2 weeks have had numerous opportunities to reflect on the trip to Kenya, and to see in different times, and from different angles, just a glimpse of the many ways in which God has been blessing and challenging.

I arrived home and within days had a virus sweep through my laptop, destroying a considerable amount of work. Despite several scans, deep scans and other retrieval processes, I still have had to rewrite two Open University essays, and am also having to rewrite many other documents and presentation materials. I was very tempted to feel incredibly victimised and fed up by this experience, but thankfully I realised early on that actually it was an opportunity for me to be grateful for all I have got, and not bemoan all that I lost. The people that we served in Kambi Teso were a beautiful example of being grateful for all things: they had so little and yet were so uncomplaining - who am I to get in a grump just because I have lost some documents on a laptop (and as it turns out the rewrites were better than the originals!)

I know that some of the other team members felt spiritually attacked on their return: hard to deal with, but so often the way after having such a God -filled experience as we had. A wise older lady at church once said to me 'it's when the enemy isn't attacking you, that you need to be worried'. Well we clearly did some good stuff in Kenya, and upset the enemy because he is trying to get back at various of us now. So we daily put on the armour of God to be shielded from the arrows of attack.

The people out there are lovely, and it was such a privilege to be able to serve them in a small way. It was only when I got back that it occurred to me the parrallels between some of the little ones that we saw and Jesus: born to a single mother, unknown father, born into very poor surroundings, some had to flee early in life from terror. And from that my mind went to Matthew 25: 35 - 36, and the feeling of privilege in being able to serve God in this way came to me again.

No comments: